Thursday, February 6, 2014

FMST - what an awesome bunch of hikers and trail lovers!

I would like to send out a big THANK YOU to all of those that made the last Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail Conference such a success!! I would name names, but there were so many helping hands that came together to make to happen, that I would hate to leave out a single one!

The conference was held in Burlington, North Carolina at Elon University this past Saturday. Burlington is home to the Union Ridge Church which I so fondly remember camping at, as well as trail angels Harold, Blaire and Cary, and McCory's Grill.

It was a full day of updates about the trail, complete with beautiful colored photos and detailed maps, speakers regarding new publications - I had the pleasure of promoting my upcoming guide here as well: A Guide to the Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Trail- and many a trail tale from fellow hikers and trail maintainers.

The food was delicious and much of it vegetarian, provided by the school cafeteria. The tofu and Asian slaw wrap was so good, I had to take one with me for my car ride over to Asheville. Too bad I can't harvest Asian slaw on the trail...or perhaps that will just have to be a wild/edible recipe to come!

It was truly a day of trail immersion. The MST has one helluva support network...keep up the good work FMST!

No comments:

Post a Comment